Thursday, October 20, 2011


Last week when I started this post I wasn't feeling super great. So I just ended up going back to bed. Colds are no fun, and on my day off! Plus, it was raining. It really was a bummer of a day. I was about to post about the amazing find the hubs and I nabbed at our local Goodwill. So we'll press on. The cold has since been (mainly) vanquished!

It's a sweet Bell and Howell 8mm camera! Bell & Howell Sundial 220, to be specific. Now, I won't pretend that I'm a camera or film expert. But still, we're pretty sure it's functional. It's winder arm thing still winds. After winding it, when we push down on the lever on the front it seems to film. Film will actually be needed to confirm this, of course. But, we picked it up for only 7 bucks! The plan is to find some film and test it and hopefully get some kinks worked out by the time the sea monkey comes along. 


I've been imagining all the artsy home videos we can take of the baby! They'll look all grainy and sun splotched in that vintage way. How cool will this be? The hubs even found a tutorial for building a projector for it. That's the other part to this awesome find, the potential for a DIY. I may have a post coming up about building our own projector for our 8mm. 

This thing is amazing. Have you ever held one of these old cameras? It's tiny and way heavier than I would've expected for the size. You know how everything feels light and disposable now? This has the feeling of permanence. It was made way back before the "it's cheaper to buy a new one" mentality was put into manufacturing. 

I can't wait to get this guy up and running. It even makes a very satisfying noise when it's on. Oh the sweet videos to come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment