Monday, September 26, 2011

Blackberry picking!

The hubs and I went blackberry picking yesterday! It was really fun, and I was pretty excited about it, like the true nerd I am. Although, I have to tell you, those blackberry vines are COVERED in thorns! It's not just the vines though. It's the leaves, and the base of the berries, and the vines. And if you go picking on a windy day like we did, Look Out! Both of us got hit in the face with a flailing vine. Fortunately, for our up and coming modeling careers, there were no visible wounds left behind.




The other caution I have for you is about the spiders. Now, I am not a fan of spiders. I usually point at them, shriek, then run away. And the spiders were all over the place out there! The first patch of blackberries we got to in the park had long grass leading up to it. When I stepped up on the already somewhat smushed grass, a herd of spiders scurried away from my feet! Is that what you call a group of spiders? Gaggle, pod, swarm? There ya go, a swarm of them ran away!


Anyway, after a while, we got the hang of it. And we got used to getting stuck by the thorns. Our surprised yelps of pain went mostly ignored by each other as we filled up our bags. I think we brought in about 15 cups! Can you imagine the cost of that many blackberries at the grocery store?

We made blackberry cobbler (which we ate before dinner, like grown ups) and froze the rest. I think we have smoothies in our future! Which will be great for the sea monkey, apparently they're loaded with anti-oxidants. (I'm no nutritionist.)




The cobbler recipe was adapted from this recipe from allrecipes.com. We also used this recipe for whipped cream from the same awesome food website.

I think my next post will be about the amazing Bell and Howell 8mm camera we found at our local Goodwill for 7 bucks. I love thrift stores.

2 comments:

  1. That was an Amazing Dessert! If you can believe it, it tasted better than it looked. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to test the posting system out... just ignore me please.

    ReplyDelete